Friday, May 29, 2009

Estonian

Just writing up some more content for my spaced repetition system for Estonian.

I'm using Colloquial Estonian as my source. I also have the tapes. The usual problems with these courses - just the dialogues have audio. Weirdly the Estonian tapes have quite a bit of question/answer stuff that isn't even mentioned in the book, so if you mis-hear that's it. No way of looking it up.

Annoyingly they don't put 'to' in front of the infinitives in the vocab lists. There must be many times where the noun and the verb are the same in English.

Lesson 1 looks pretty straightforward, with a nice dialogue and all the grammar explained.

Good point about the book also is that the dialogues are translated in the book.

2 comments:

  1. I've used this series for Icelandic. Same thing with the audio, if I remember correctly. Just the dialogues were recorded, as well as the role play type audio exercises. The grammar points were really clear, with good examples, and I liked the practice exercises. The lessons had a good scope (the real stuff you need to learn a language.) I was using it along with Einarsson's grammar, as well as a tutor, so that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did it go? Did you end up learning to speak Icelandic? I'm about to give the old Icelandic Linguaphone course a go.

    ReplyDelete