Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Croatian

I'll start with Croatian as it's something I'm working on intensively at the moment.

One of the biggest problems with Croatian is that for some inexplicable reason, most books don't indicate which syllable takes the stress!

The first book that I had for so-called Serbo-Croat was from about 40 years ago - Teach yourself Serbo-Croatian. But it was probably more Serbian but at least it did indicate the stressed syllable for all words with more than two syllables. I've got the newer Teach Yourself Croatian and Colloquial Croatian and the accents are missing.

Then I came across 'Dobar Dan' from Max Hueber Verlag. The accents are indicated, even the three tones of Croatian, on each word... but I hate the way the verbs are introduced without indicating whether they are imperfective or perfective.

In any case, it's all irrelevant now that the Living Language series has come out with Spoken World Croatian. It looks pretty good so far. And it comes with audio for the dialogues and even the vocab lists and grammar explanations. Superb!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you like. You'll see on my blog that I work for a certain unnamed publisher of language courses in New York, ha ha...

    ReplyDelete